Field Medical Director
Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapies with novel mechanisms of action in key kidney disease pathways. Our development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and well-defined clinical development opportunities. Our lead program, atrasentan, is a potent and selective, small molecule inhibitor of the endothelin A receptor that is planned to move into a phase 3 registrational trial for IgA nephropathy and a phase 2 basket trial for glomerular diseases, in 2021. We are advancing BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody, in an ongoing phase 1b trial for IgA nephropathy, and CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for primary hyperoxaluria, towards trial initiation in 2021. Our pipeline also includes several additional preclinical programs at the validation and lead optimization stages, and we continue to actively evaluate business development opportunities around early and late-stage clinical assets in kidney disease.
Chinook completed the third quarter of 2020 with over $290 million in operating capital and trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol, “KDNY.” The company has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Berkeley, CA.
The Field Medical Director (FMD) will participate in the strategic development and tactical engagement of thought leaders/experts and act as a conduit for providing accurate and updated medical/clinical scientific information. The FMD will provide proactive, non-promotional scientific, educational and research support of the Chinook product and pipeline portfolio, in particular for the on-going clinical and preclinical activities. The FMD will participate in the identification of those external leaders that can inform, participate in and advise the R&D efforts. They will also report on scientific intelligence to the chinook medical leadership. Upon request, they can supply members of the providers and payers community with relevant clinical and scientific information.
The FMD is a member of the Medical Affairs Team and Study teams. The FMDs will first focus their efforts on trial support in IgAN, Glomerular diseases and hyperoxyluria, while maintaining a field based medical role/territory with liaison responsibilities. The role is focused on supporting the unmet medical needs and directly participates in the operationalization of the medical affairs disease platform, including but not limited to strategy development, publications, advisory boards, internal and external medical education, and KOL engagement plans, and internally champion the development and execution of an efficient and integrated medical/scientific strategy, including evidence generation and scientific exchange with all key stakeholders.
The FMD will:
- Develop/Maintain a clinical knowledge expertise in glomerular diseases, PKD and Hyperoxyluria including treatments, management and gaps.
- Participate and sometimes lead the development and execution of medical strategies to identify key experts, investigators and institutions critical to R&D efforts
- Establish and maintain collaborative medical and scientific relationships with key external physicians and multiple internal/external constituencies
- Collaborate with Chinook Clinical, R&D teams including medical monitors, CRAs and CTEs to coordinate the data generation activities.
- Ensure efficient information exchange between field and office based clinical, medical and safety team members
- Ensure alignment (with medical platform) on content of effective clinical presentations to internal and external audiences.
- Align with brand team on Medical communication goals including medical education, participation at congresses and other venues
- Support strategy and consideration of disease area investigator-sponsored study programs (IST) by enabling submission
- Develop strategies, implement execution and report on medical advisory boards
- Understand and Identify future medical education needs and study uptake issues through the coverage of clinical trials.
- Maintain current expertise through comprehensive continuing medical education relevant journal clubs, workshops, training and keeping abreast of the relevant literature.
- Adhere to all regulatory and compliance guidelines and company policies.
In addition the FMD is expected to:
- Play a key role in the operationalization of the medical mission by providing the strategic leadership, senior level expertise, and translation of Medical Affairs plans to field actions for all Field Based Medical execution.
- Lead and support the medical affairs capabilities expansion
- Coach and mentor other MSLs.
- Co-develop the scientific communication and publication strategies
- Support brand teams for development of claims
- Work closely with the FBM and medical affairs leadership to develop metrics
- Lead disease specific materials development efforts as part of the relevant disease expert team(s); responsible for translating medical strategy to operational tactics.
- Establish and maintain collaborative medical and scientific relationships with key constituencies including but not limited to professional organizations as well as Medical Affairs, Clinical Research, Regulatory, Science, Marketing, Sales, Commercial Operations, Patient Advocacy and Patient or Product Services, while ensuring full compliance with all region relevant company, industry, legal, and regulatory requirements.
- Approximately 60% travel is expected.
REQUIRED EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND AND JOB-RELATED EXPERIENCE:
- Doctorate degree from an accredited college or university (e.g., MD, PhD, or PharmD) or equivalent with significant clinical and/or industry experience in the designated therapeutic area.
- A minimum of 10 years of successful performance and experience in a relevant designated therapeutic area (clinical, research, industry).
This designation is at the discretion of the Head of Medical Affairs and the CMO.
This description is not intended to be all inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the on-going needs of the organization.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE:
- Demonstrated ability to independently work under pressure in a compliant and highly regulated environment while managing multiple responsibilities.
- Ability to influence without authority in a highly matrixed environment.
- Strategic approach to problem-solving considering all the potential implications of key decisions and messaging.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively internally and externally
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Must demonstrate exceptional levels of technical and strategic expertise, integrity, and professionalism with a strong awareness of and adherence to medical policy and applicable scientific, legal, and regulatory standards.
- Excellence in solving problems while exhibiting superior judgment and a balanced, realistic understanding of issues.
- The highest personal integrity; committed to ethics and scientific standards.
- A “lifelong” learner who consistently seeks opportunities to learn.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and projects, requiring an excellent ability to prioritize and manage expectations.
- Understanding and success in dealing with different cultures.
- Strong analytical skills, comfort managing through ambiguity.
- High energy and absolute commitment to culture
- Ability to work, use and adapt to the tools of the evolving virtual space
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.