Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for kidney diseases. Chinook’s product candidates are being investigated in rare, severe chronic kidney disorders with opportunities for well-defined clinical pathways. Chinook’s lead program is atrasentan, a phase 3 endothelin receptor antagonist for the treatment of IgA nephropathy and other proteinuric glomerular diseases. BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody is being evaluated in a phase 1b trial for IgA nephropathy. In addition, Chinook is advancing CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for the treatment of primary hyperoxaluria, as well as research programs for other rare, severe chronic kidney diseases.
Chinook is building its pipeline by leveraging insights in kidney single cell RNA sequencing, human-derived organoids, and new translational models, to discover and develop therapeutics with differentiating mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Chinook trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol KDNY and has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Oakland, CA.
Are you passionate about people? Do you love educating people on compensation and benefits? Chinook has an amazing new opportunity for a hands-on HR leader to build and scale our compensation and benefits programs to ensure Chinook remains a fantastic place to work where our team can truly impact the lives of patients living with kidney disease!
Reporting to the VP, Human Resources, and working closely with a small but mighty HR team, the Director, Total Rewards will be responsible to develop, evaluate, improve and deliver a wide variety of rewards programs to align with and support Chinook’s values and goals. Based in Seattle, WA, this position will support Chinook’s international operations by providing consultative services to HR, senior leadership and the organization.
- Develop, implement and manage compensation and benefits programs that match our total rewards philosophy; ensure compensation, benefits and wellness strategies are aligned with and support overall company culture and values
- Propose, develop, and execute effective and compliant compensation programs including incentive and bonus plans, job leveling and descriptions, salary structure and benchmarking activities, salary survey management, annual merit process and compensation-related communication and education
- Manage the benefits programs and brokers for Chinook employees based in the US, Canada, and the Netherlands (healthcare, life insurance, etc.); recommend and implement improvements that can scale our benefits with the size and growth of Chinook.
- Participate in the creation of and provide support to Compensation Committee work, including executive compensation programs
- Partner collaboratively with Legal and Finance on stock administration and forecasting efforts
- Maintain a pulse on market data, regulatory requirements and emerging trends relevant to the life sciences sector; ensure Chinook’s programs remain competitive, compliant and effective
- Proactively ensure rewards programs support Chinook’s Purpose, Values and overall culture and comply with both the letter and spirit of applicable pay equity legislation. Drive internal education around connecting pay practices to diversity and inclusion goals.
- Participate with Finance on the budgeting process to ensure that budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements and ensure accurate execution of compensation planning
- Advise and consult with the appropriate HR and/or senior managers on a wide variety of issues relating to compensation, benefits, leaves of absence management and other related matters as applicable
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree, in Human Resources Management, business administration or a related field is a plus, or equivalent experience
- Experience in life sciences strongly preferred
- 10+ years of experience in compensation and benefits, with an emphasis on experience from HR, Finance or payroll
- Extensive knowledge of compensation and benefits programs, policies, procedures and relevant, applicable legislation in both the US and Canada
- Experience in publicly traded companies, including equity and SOX experience
- Excellent communication, people and project management skills
- Excellent problem solving skills (identify, analyze, research, evaluate, resolve)
- A high degree of analytical skills
- Advanced Excel skills including pivot tables and macros
- Ability to align total reward policies to business objectives
- Excellent influencing, collaboration, and relationship building skills
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.