Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for kidney diseases. Chinook’s product candidates are being investigated in rare, severe chronic kidney disorders with opportunities for well-defined clinical pathways. Chinook’s lead program is atrasentan, a phase 3 endothelin receptor antagonist for the treatment of IgA nephropathy and other proteinuric glomerular diseases. BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody is being evaluated in a phase 1b trial for IgA nephropathy. In addition, Chinook is advancing CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for the treatment of primary hyperoxaluria, as well as research programs for other rare, severe chronic kidney diseases.
Chinook is building its pipeline by leveraging insights in kidney single cell RNA sequencing, human-derived organoids, and new translational models, to discover and develop therapeutics with differentiating mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Chinook trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol KDNY and has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Berkeley, CA.
The Principal Network/Systems Engineer will design and implement innovative technical solutions to support Chinook’s enterprise network, operations, and security. The role is responsible for developing strategic and tactical plans for the development Chinook’s network and security roadmap to meet current and projected business needs.
- Performs architectural design and technical road mapping of the Chinook network infrastructure and associated systems and services across multiple sites.
- Performs technical analysis and leads the development and implementation of security solutions that may include, but are not limited to vulnerability management and remediation, host and network intrusion prevention solutions, anti-virus technologies, DLP capabilities, firewalls, SIEM technologies, malware analysis, web application firewalls and proxy solutions.
- of network security plans for the enterprise.
- Evaluates the costs and benefits of proposed and existing Wide Area Network (WAN) services, Local Area Network (LAN) services, including, but not limited to, switches, routers, firewall, security, public/hybrid cloud or internet services. Makes recommendations to IT management.
- Works within established configuration and change management policy to ensure awareness, approval and success of changes made to the network infrastructure.
- Maintain physical and logical environments to protect servers, switches, and entire information technology (IT) system while balancing overall load.
- Monitors and tracks network performance, utilization, usage trending and capacity to ensure network availability and reliability.
- Continually monitors against authorized security control requirements and reports system risks and application configurations or vulnerabilities.
- Responsible for up-time, reliability, stability, and policy maintenance of supported systems.
- Develop and network business continuity and disaster recovery plans.
- Develops and maintains procedural, process, administrative, and technical documentation.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of emerging tools and network technologies.
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology and or a related field of study, or an equivalent combination of education and demonstrated experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the responsibilities of the job.
- Seven or more years of progressively responsible experience in a similar position.
- Experience with direct customer interaction with demonstrated ability to effectively convey complex or technical information to non-technical end users.
- Thorough knowledge of networking fundamentals including VLANs, subnets, protocols, and standards.
- Excellent understanding of and experience with security technologies (firewall intrusion detection/prevention protocols and Data loss Prevention and data encryption).
- Experience installing, configuring, troubleshooting wired and wireless networks.
- Knowledge & Experience with of VMWare, Esxi.
- Advanced knowledge of impact systems listed within the “Technologies” section below, servers, operating systems, systems software, security, databases, recovery, storage and/or applications.
- Demonstrated ability to create detailed technical specifications, documentation, and reports.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in information technology operations, change and configuration management.
- Demonstrated ability to implement high-availability systems, including load balancing, failover, and clustering.
- Ability to function well in a dynamic and high-paced environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- IT Security and/or Networking certification a plus
- Experience in Biotechnology a plus
- Experience with Windows, UNIX and Linux operating systems.
- Extensive experience in Cisco, Meraki, Palo Alto platforms and high-level understanding SDWAN and wireless networks configuration and management.
- Experience maintaining public cloud network infrastructure a plus (Azure, AWS).
- Identity and access management principles using single sign-on solutions such as Okta.
- Database experience with MS SQL, MySQL
- Virtualization experience with Hyper-V and VMware technologies
- Experience with current SAN/NAS storage technologies
- Scripting: PowerShell, Python, others
- Network/Security: Subnetting, encryption technologies and standards, DNS, FTP, HTTP(S), ICMP, IMAP, IPSec, IPv4, IPv6, NTP, RADIUS, SNMP, SMTP, SSH, SSL/TLS, XML, WAP, NAT, VLAN and VPN.
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.