Chinook Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. The development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Chinook recently in-licensed a late-stage product, atrasentan, and plans to initiate a phase 3 trial for chronic kidney disease during 2020. Our pipeline has several other internal programs at the validation and lead optimization stages, the first of which is rapidly progressing to enter clinical trials by 2021. We are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance the pipeline.
Chinook has raised a $65 million Series A financing from top tier venture capital firms Versant Ventures, Apple Tree Partners, and Samsara BioCapital. We are a growing team of approximately 30 employees and are based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle, Washington.
The Sr. Manager/Manager, Business Development will identify, evaluate, and support negotiations to in-license external therapeutic product and drug discovery platform opportunities to augment Chinook’s internal product pipeline. In addition, this person will work closely with business and research teams to support the company’s internal product strategies and evaluate potential partnership transactions. This position may be located in our Vancouver or Seattle location.
- Work closely with the business development team, R&D and finance to conduct due diligence assessments for BD opportunities
- Identify and prioritize external therapeutic and discovery platform opportunities that support Chinook’s R&D strategy and nurture scientific and business relationships
- Work with business and research teams to triage most compelling opportunities for further internal review based on quality of the science, commercial opportunity and the fit with internal strategy
- Organize and lead due diligence teams to evaluate the most compelling external opportunities, including using expert consultants where needed
- Present diligence summaries evaluating key risks, clinical and regulatory pathways, manufacturing, and commercialization of product opportunities, to senior management to support strategic decision making
- Follow up on partnership activity, including the tracking, documentation and status reporting of all collaborations along the business development pipeline
- Develop and maintain competitive landscape through a strong understanding of disease biology, treatment paradigms, and emerging therapies in renal diseases of interest
- From time to time, represent Chinook at scientific conferences and partnering events
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture
Experience & Education:
- Advanced degree in life sciences and MBA preferred
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in life science companies (Pharma and/or Biotech) supporting Business Development objectives
- Prior consulting / investment banking experience, as well as R&D or project management roles within Biotech / Pharma is highly valued
- Understanding of scientific and clinical data and a passion for staying abreast of the latest advancements in the industry
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills
- An understanding of the process of due diligence and asset valuation combined with a scientific and business acumen
- Energetic, highly team-oriented, and self-motivated individual with strong analytical research skills and a solid understanding of business strategy
- Proven ability to effectively work independently and with project teams in a matrix environment
- Highly-organized, self-motivated with excellent follow-up abilities and able to prioritize projects
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.