Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for kidney diseases. Chinook’s product candidates are being investigated in rare, severe chronic kidney disorders with opportunities for well-defined clinical pathways. Chinook’s lead program is atrasentan, a phase 3 endothelin receptor antagonist for the treatment of IgA nephropathy and other proteinuric glomerular diseases. BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody is being evaluated in a phase 1/2 trial for IgA nephropathy. In addition, Chinook is advancing CHK-336, an oral small molecule LDHA inhibitor for the treatment of primary hyperoxaluria, as well as research programs for other rare, severe chronic kidney diseases.
Chinook is building its pipeline by leveraging insights in kidney single cell RNA sequencing, human-derived organoids, and new translational models, to discover and develop therapeutics with differentiating mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Chinook trades on Nasdaq under the ticker symbol KDNY and has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Oakland, CA.
The Associate Director, New Product Planning will primarily be responsible for supporting, executing, and delivering a mix of primary market research, competitive intelligence, and forecasting for Chinook’s early stage pipeline. The role provides unbiased, objective, in-depth information about the market landscape, treatment trends, and competitive positioning to inform development and commercial strategy. The position will contribute to the overall commercial planning for Chinook's programs in rare kidney diseases. This position reports to the Head of New Product Planning and can be located near any of Chinook’s operating centers in Oakland, CA, Vancouver BC, Seattle WA, or remotely based in the US.
- Acts as the lead commercial representative in one or more Global Product Teams (GPTs), providing commercial perspective on clinical development decisions for Chinook’s early pipeline assets through commercial insights from market research and/or competitive intelligence
- Partner with a broad range of cross-functional stakeholders, including clinical development, regulatory, medical affairs, and commercial to guide product development strategy and commercialization
- Perform market assessments of new product and lifecycle opportunities, leveraging both primary market insights and secondary data
- Independently manages and leads both qualitative and quantitative market research projects in support of Global Product Teams, including development of target product profiles (TPPs), discussion guides, and survey materials
- Lead and moderate one on one double blinded market research discussions with KOLs, community physicians, and other key external stakeholders to gather feedback on target product profiles, clinical trial design, and competitor data
- Lead competitive intelligence information gathering, analyses, and internal communication for early pipeline programs, including but not limited to medical conference coverage, earnings calls coverage, and competitive data monitoring for all of Chinook’s target kidney diseases
- Manage multiple external CI and market research agency relations to ensure key topic tracking, competitor monitoring, market research goals and deliverables, etc. are achieved
- Utilize various secondary research resources and databases to generate market insights
- Seek out new information across disparate sources such as media, financial filings, publications, clinical data presentations, competitive promotional materials, and other sources
- Communicate findings and insights with program stakeholders and senior leadership to inform decision making and to help teams work through strategic scenario planning
- Assist in developing and updating patient-based forecasting models for Chinook’s programs, including gathering and aligning of assumptions with Global Product Teams
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum 6-8+ years of experience in new product planning, competitive intelligence, market insights and/or an analytics function
- Good understanding of pharmaceutical market research, competitive intelligence gathering, and secondary data analytics
- Ability to effectively partner with a broad set of stakeholders
- Prior strategic management consulting experience is a plus
- Experience in Rare Disease therapeutic areas a plus
- Experience in US and/or Global Insights functions is a plus
- Knowledge of basic principles of functions across pharmaceutical value chain, including drug discovery & development, clinical trials, FDA / EMA regulation, and drug commercialization
- Demonstrated ability to perform competitive analyses and extract business insights
- Ability to interpret and synthesize pre-clinical and clinical scientific data and identify broader implications for our programs and / or specific opportunities
- Familiarity with Excel-based patient forecast models and secondary data sources to inform forecast assumptions
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and we prohibit discrimination or harassment of any kind. We are committed to fostering an environment where ALL people are welcome and supported. We respect and value different experiences and viewpoints. We act respectfully toward one another and embrace diversity of people and ideas. Having a diverse workforce made up of team members who bring a wide variety of skills, abilities, experiences, and perspectives is essential to our success. Creativity and innovation flourish in an environment of openness, inclusion, and mutual respect.