Chinook Therapeutics is a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. Our development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Our lead program, atrasentan, is a late-stage clinical program for the treatment of primary glomerular diseases, which is planned to move into a phase 3 registrational trial for IgA nephropathy and a phase 2 basket trial for glomerular diseases, both in 2021. We are also evaluating BION-1301, an anti-APRIL monoclonal antibody, in a phase 1b trial for IgA nephropathy, and are advancing CHK-336 towards a planned IND in 2021 for an ultra-orphan kidney disease. In addition, our pipeline has several other preclinical programs at the validation and lead optimization stages, and we are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance the pipeline.
Chinook launched in 2019 with a $65 million Series A financing from leading healthcare investors Versant Venture, Apple Tree Partners and Samsara Biocapital. In October 2020, we merged with Aduro Biotech, Inc. and completed a $115 million financing with leading healthcare investors, including EcoR1, Orbimed and others. Chinook now has over $275 million in operating capital and trades on Nasdaq under the ticker “KDNY”. The company has locations in Vancouver, BC, Seattle, WA and Berkeley, CA.
Chinook is seeking a highly motivated Program Team Leader (PTL) to deliver on our ambitious goals for atrasentan. The PTL will be responsible for development and execution of strategy for atrasentan, and operational implementation, delivered through the effective leadership of a cross-functional Global Product Team (GPT). The PTL leads the team to develop products in a high quality, timely, and cost-effective manner and is responsible for the GPT deliverables. The PTL drives the effective integration of clinical, regulatory, CMC and commercial strategies in partnership with the functional leads of the GPT, who are accountable for their functional strategies.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead cross-functional Global Product Team(s) partnering with the Program Manager and functional leads to develop, adapt and drive an integrated global product strategy which maximizes the potential of atrasentan. The PTL should consider near and long-term cross functional impacts as well as region and country perspectives for late stage, high priority programs
- Works closely with Program Management to influence, advise and coordinate strategic and operational efforts across all key product development functions, including Development, Regulatory, Safety, CMC, Medical Affairs, Commercial, to ensure strategic alignment and seamless execution
- Reviews and analyzes emerging internal and external data objectively to drive team toward recommendations that highlight opportunities, address potential risks, and proactively provide appropriate mitigations
- Drive team objective setting, prioritization and ensure adherence to plan and strategy
- Drive risk management, issue identification and resolution and contingency planning
- Communicates with executive management to address program needs, issues, resources and recommendations
- Along with the Program Manager (PM), ensures that meeting agendas, background materials, and minutes are complete and available in a timely manner, with pending decisions clearly outlined, to enable the GPT to focus on strategy and decision-making, and to enable optimal communication of issues to supporting teams, team members, and functions
- Create a positive team environment that instills trust, encourages disconfirming information and ensures clear transparent communications to align around the overall goal/vision for the product
- Has a deep understanding of the role and value of each function on the team, to know how to solicit timely input
- At least 10 years experience working on late stage product development, including regulatory filings and product launches/life cycle management is strongly preferred
- Ability to lead and motivate team members from across functional areas; must be able to lead through influence and bring out the best in others; ability to drive decision making; coaches and mentors team members as appropriate.
- Strong facilitator able to take a function-neutral position in prioritizing actions and making decisions, with an eye toward optimizing asset value in a timely and high-quality fashion
- Proven ability to function effectively across a matrix organization with multiple stakeholders and constituents, with the ability and strength to focus a team to work towards its goals
- Strong leadership and communication skills (including presentation skills) with success in influencing all levels cross-functionally
- Ph.D., MD or MBA or advanced degree in biomedical sciences or one of the disciplines related to drug development and relevant experience in pharmaceutical, academic and/or medical research environments
- Highly collaborative with outstanding relationship building skills
- Experience in renal disease is desirable
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.