Chinook Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. The development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs as well as defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Chinook’s pipeline currently has several rapidly progressing internal programs at the validation and lead optimization stages poised to enter clinical trials by 2021. We are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance our pipeline.
Chinook has raised $65 million in Series A financing from top tier venture capital firms Versant Ventures, Apple Tree Partners, and Samsara BioCapital. We are a growing team of approximately 25 employees and are based in Vancouver, British Columbia and Seattle, Washington.
The VP, Finance will be responsible for Accounting, Procurement, Financial Planning & Analysis, Treasury and Tax functions. This is a hands-on position that is responsible for the alignment of financial resources with the achievement of strategic goals, both long term and short term. The VP, Finance will report to the CEO and will be based in Seattle with some travel to our Vancouver office.
- Leading and managing the Finance and Accounting function for US and Canadian biotech operations.
- Driving continuous improvement of financial reporting under U.S. GAAP
- Partnering with executives to manage key relationships including auditors and various other key vendors
- Delivering to senior management and Board of Directors detailed, effective and timely analyses of budgets and projects
- Improving and scaling processes for financial planning and tracking of operating expenses, headcount reporting, monthly close support, quarterly forecasting, annual budgeting and variance analyses
- Reviewing and analyzing contracts to manage financial terms and ensure they are accounted for in compliance with GAAP requirements
- Responsible for preparing materials for the Board of Directors
- As needed, participating on valuation or corporate development projects, including analyses supporting program investment decisions, analyses for M&A and licensing decisions
- Overseeing management of the capitalization table, common stock fair market valuations (409A) and accounting for equity incentives
- Preparing the tax provision and review tax returns ensuring compliance
- Responsible for risk management and governance including ensuring that the companies’ insurance requirements are appropriate to meet the current and forecasted growth of the company
- Ensure global consistency of the application of all financial policies, standard procedures, processes, tools and system
- Lead and mentor a high performing team including the Controller and contract support as needed
- Oversee IT, facilities and other corporate functions as required
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of a positive team-focused company culture
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- BS/BA in Finance or Accounting and a CPA, CMA or MBA preferred
- 10+ years of progressive growth in financial roles in biotechnology companies including Financial Planning and Analysis
- Excellent computer modeling and presentation skills (Advanced Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills are required)
- Significant experience with U.S. GAAP for biotechnology companies
- Public company experience and experience with multi-currency consolidation of financial statements preferred
- Excellent judgment and ability to see problems and develop appropriate solutions
- Action oriented and versatile
- Proven leadership abilities with a track record of building and retaining high performing teams
- High degree of initiative and ability to work in a fast-paced, highly visible and dynamic environment, and able to work effectively with ambiguity and incomplete information
- Superior communication skills (written, verbal, and presentation)
- Ability to influence and lead across functions
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.